ICC Men’s T20 World Cup was formerly known as ICC World T20. The tournament is hosted by the International Cricket Council (ICC), the highest body in cricket. Today we present to you the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Winners List from the very beginning of the tournament (2007).
The men’s T20 world cup tournament is held every two years. If the T20 World Cup and the 50 Over World Cup fall together in a year, the T20 World Cup tournament is canceled that year.
The first edition of the Men’s T20 World Cup was held in 2007. That year South Africa was the host of the tournament. Where India defeated Pakistan in the final. MS Dhoni was the captain of the Indian cricket team at that time.
A young team led by MS Dhoni was selected to go for the T20 World Cup in South Africa.— BCCI (@BCCI) August 16, 2020
India won the inaugural edition of the T20 World Cup on 24th September, 2007 and the rest as they say is history.#ThankYouMSDhoni pic.twitter.com/INkSOlAJOP
Currently, 16 international cricket teams are participating in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup tournament. In which the first 8 teams of T20 ranking directly enter the group stage and the remaining 8 teams have to go through the qualifier round. Out of those 8 teams, 4 teams get a chance to play in the Main Tournament (super-12 round).
Each of the 2021 T20 World Cup participating teams are working hard to put their name on the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup winners list. But it remains to be seen which country will make it to the list of ICC T20 World Cup winners 2021.
So far 6 T20 World Cups have been held. So the T20 World Cup 2021 is going to be the 7th edition of the T20 World Cup.
The West Indies are the only team to have won the T20 World Cup twice. Australia, New Zealand, South Africa are some of the famous teams that have not yet made it to the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup winners list.
ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Winners List Year Wise:
|YEAR||WINNER||RUNNER-UP||MATCH RESULT||HOST COUNTRY|
|2007||India||Pakistan||India won by 5 runs||South Africa|
|2009||Pakistan||Sri Lanka||Pakistan won by 8 wickets||England|
|2010||England||Australia||England won by 7 wickets||West Indies|
|2012||West Indies||Sri Lanka||West Indies won by 36 runs||Sri Lanka|
|2014||Sri Lanka||India||Sri Lanka won by 6 wickets||Bangladesh|
|2016||West Indies||England||West Indies won by 4 wickets||India|
|2020||Postponed||Postponed||Postponed due to COVID-19||Australia|
|2021||——–||——–||——–||UAE & Oman|
The 7th edition of the Men’s T20 World Cup was supposed to take place in Australia in 2020, but the ICC canceled the tournament due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The ICC then announced that the 7th edition would be held in India in 2021 and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) would host the tournament.
But considering the Covid-19 epidemic in India now and in the future, the BCCI has shifted the tournament to UAE and Oman. However, the hosting right of the tournament will be with BCCI.
Quick Facts about the ICC T20 world cup:
- First Edition: 2007
- Next Edition: 2021
- Scheduled Date: October 17 to November 14
- Current Edition: Seventh
- First T20 World Cup Winner: India
- First Runner-up: Pakistan
- Team with most titles: West Indies
- Administrator: International Cricket Council (ICC)
- Format: Twenty- Twenty (T20)
- Number of teams participating in 2021 T20 World Cup: 16
- ICC T20 Cricket World Cup 2021 host Nation: India (Moved to UAE and Oman due to COVID-19 situation in India)
- Highest Runs: 1016 runs scored by Mahela Jayawardene of Sri Lanka
- Most Wickets: 39 wickets taken by Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi
- Participating Teams in T20 World Cup 2021: India, Australia, England, Pakistan, South Africa, West Indies, New Zealand, Afghanistan, Papua New Guinea, Bangladesh, Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka, Scotland, and Oman.
1. Which is the most successful team in the ICC T20 Cricket World Cup?
Answer: West Indies is the most successful team in the ICC T20 Cricket World Cup. Because the West Indies have won two of the six editions of the T20 World Cup twice, in 2012 and 2016, respectively.
2. Who is the administrator of the ICC T20 Cricket World Cup?
Answer: International Cricket Council (ICC) is the administrator of the ICC T20 Cricket World Cup.
3. Who owns the first ICC T20 Cricket World Cup?
Answer: India wins the first ICC T20 Cricket World Cup. Under the leadership of MS Dhoni, India won the first edition of the T20 World Cup in 2007.
4. How many teams are there in T20 World Cup 2021?
Answer: A total of 16 teams are participating in the 2021 T20 World Cup. Out of which 8 teams will directly participate in the super-12 round and 8 teams will play the qualifier round, from there 4 teams will join the remaining 8 teams in the super-12 round.
5. Which teams will play T20 World Cup 2021?
Answer: A total of 16 teams are participating in the ICC T20 World Cup 2021. The teams are India, Australia, England, Pakistan, South Africa, West Indies, New Zealand, Afghanistan, Papua New Guinea, Bangladesh, Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka, Scotland, and Oman.